FOLLOW THE KEY COVID-19 PANDEMIC DEVELOPMENTS WITH DIGESTABLE VIDEO UPDATES
Note to new visitors: To view the over 100 COVID-19 Updates in this course, you will need to create a free account (it only takes a few seconds).
A novel coronavirus was first reported to the World Health Organization on December 31, 2019. The virus appears to have spread from Wuhan, China and has quickly led to a pandemic.
Dr. Seheult illustrates key developments about COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2 pathophysiology, transmission, prevention, treatment options & trials, vaccine advances, data trends, as well as the response from governments, hospitals, and communities.
A lot has changed since we recorded our first video on a novel coronavirus outbreak on January 26, 2020. Please note that each updatevideo was produced with the best information we could access at the time of recording. Some videos were recorded well over a month ago and may contain information that has become outdated or replaced by better information or research.
That said, we believe each video contains concepts that have enduring value, and reviewing how the response to COVID-19 has progressed over time may be of interest to you as well.
We're committed to keeping our COVID-19 videos free for all to access. Please share them with friends and colleagues if you find them helpful.
ALL COVID-19 Update Episodes:
- Introduction - Please Read First
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, & Pathophysiology
- Symptoms, Treatment, & Vaccine Status
- Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine Developments
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Update 5: Current Numbers & Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding, & Germany Case
- Update 8: Travel Ban, First Death Outside of China, Quarantine, & Opportunistic Infections
- Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission & Recovery vs Death Rate
- Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread, & Prevention
- Update 11: Antiviral Medications, Treatment Trials (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, & ACE2 & nCoV
- Update 13: Dr. Li, Dip in Daily Cases, nCoV vs Influenza, & Spread to Canada
- Update 14: Hospital Spread of Infection, WHO Allowed in China, & N-95 masks
- Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, & 24 Day Incubation?
- Update 16: Name Change to COVID-19, Boosting Your Immune Response to Viral Infections
- Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases & Fighting Infections with Sleep
- Update 18: Increase in Deaths, Questions about Asymptomatic Spread, & More Sleep Tips
- Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials, & H1N1 Influenza A
- Update 20: Misinformation, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, & Virus Origins
- Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Update 22: Viral Shedding Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Molecular Biology Primer - How Viruses Work
- Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy's Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Update 27: Testing Accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), New California Cases
- Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Update 31: Mortality Rate, EPA Approved Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor - The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Hydroxychloroquine Treatment
- Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (Are NSAIDs Safe?), Trials of HIV Medications, Preliminary CDC Fatality Data
- Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 And Is Reinfection Possible?
- Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy (Thermal Regulation) Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Update 51: State by State Projections; Lung Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID-19
- Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID-19 Worse?
- Update 54: COVID-19 Antibody vs. PCR Testing; When to Relax Social Distancing?
- Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV
- Update 56: What is “Forest Bathing” & Can It Boost Immunity Against Viruses?
- Update 57: Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can UV-C Disinfect Public Spaces?
- Update 58: Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
- Update 59: Dr. Seheult's Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, Sleep, NAC, Etc.)
- Update 60: Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?
- Update 61: Blood Clots & Strokes in COVID-19; ACE-2 Receptor; Oxidative Stress
- Update 62: Treatment with Famotidine (Pepcid)?
- Update 63: Is COVID-19 a Disease of the Endothelium?
- Update 64: Remdesivir Treatment Update
- Live Webcast Replay: Key COVID-19 Clinical Updates and Lessons Learned So Far (Recorded April 30, 2020)
- Update 65: COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)
- Update 66: ACE-Inhibitors and ARBs - Hypertension Medications with COVID-19
- Update 67: COVID-19 Blood Clots - Race, Blood Types, & Von Willebrand Factor
- Update 68: Kawasaki Disease; Minority Groups & COVID-19
- Update 69: "NAC" Supplementation and COVID-19 (N-Acetylcysteine)
- Update 70: Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, and COVID-19
- Update 71: New Data on Adding Zinc to Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin
- Update 72: Dentists; Diabetes; Sensitivity of COVID-19 Antibody Tests
- Update 73: Relapse, Re-Infections, & Re-Positives - The Likely Explanation
- Update 74: Vitamin D & COVID 19; Academic Censorship
- Update 75: COVID-19 Lung Autopsies - New Data
- Update 76: Antibody Testing False Positives in COVID-19
- Update 77: Remdesivir Update; COVID-19 in Mexico
- Live COVID-19 Question / Answer with Dr. Seheult - May 31, 2020
- Update 78: Mask Controversy; Vaccine Update for COVID-19
- Update 79: 5 Vaccines to Keep An Eye On
- Update 80: Data Questions & Journal Retractions
- Live COVID-19 Question / Answer with Dr. Seheult - June 7, 2020
- Update 81: New Data on Hydroxychloroquine Side Effects and Prevention of COVID-19
- Update 82: Racial Disparities with COVID-19 & Vitamin D
- Update 83: High Fructose, Vitamin D, & Oxidative Stress
- Live COVID-19 Question / Answer with Dr. Seheult - June 14, 2020
- Update 84: Key Questions to Ask if in the Hospital for COVID-19 (Part 1 of 2)
- Update 85: Dexamethasone and Key Questions to Ask if in The Hospital (Part 2)
- Update 86: COVID-19 Testing and Cases Increasing but Daily Deaths Decreasing
- Update 87: More on Dexamethasone; Do COVID-19 antibodies last?
- Update 88: Dexamethasone History & Mortality Benefit Data Released From UK Trial
- Update 89: Infection Rate Rising in Many States; Dexamethasone Cautions
- Live COVID-19 Question / Answer with Dr. Seheult - June 28, 2020
- Update 90: Assess The Quality of COVID-19 Info With A Validated Tool
- Update 91: Remdesivir Pricing & Disparities in Drug Availability
- Update 92: COVID-19 & Blood Clots - New Endothelium & Free Radical Research
- Update 93: Antibodies, Immunity, & Prevalence of COVID-19 - New Data from Spain
- Update 94: COVID-19 Treatment with Inhaled Steroids; New Pneumonia in Kazakhstan?
- Update 95: Widespread Thrombosis on Autopsy; Prognostic Factors
- Update 96: RNA Vaccine; Ivermectin; von Willebrand Factor & COVID-19
- Update 97: Vitamin D & COVID-19 Immunity, The Endothelium, & Deficiencies
- Update 98: Inexpensive Home COVID-19 Tests - A Possible Breakthrough
- Update 99: "Long Haulers" - Lingering & Long-Term Symptoms After COVID-19
- Update 100: Interferon Beta COVID-19 Treatment and a Retrospective
- Live Q/A with Dr. Michael Mina: How to Fix COVID-19 Testing August 5, 2020
- Update 101: T Cell Immunity vs. Antibodies & Prior Exposure to Other Coronaviruses
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests Demo & Q/A with E25Bio Co-Founder Dr. Herrera (At Home Antigen Tests)
- Update 102: COVID 19 vs. Influenza Symptoms; Sweden; Tocilizumab; Hawaii
- Update 103: Convalescent Plasma Treatment & the FDA; College Campuses Close
- Update 104: COVID 19 Reinfection & Immunity
- Update 105: Current FDA Authorized Treatments; Vaccine Update
- Update 106: Comorbidities and Excess Deaths; Bradykinin
- Update 107: Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID-19 Treatment and Prevention?
- Update 108: High Risk Behaviors; Cases Rise in Europe
- Update 109: New Data From Europe As COVID-19 Infections Rise
- Update 110: Trump's Risk Factors and COVID-19 Prognosis; Interferon
- Update 111: Masks; New Vitamin D Data; NAC
- Update 112: Linoleic Acid; UK Testing Data; Vaccines
- Update 113: Remdesivir may not work
- Update 114: COVID-19 Mortality Rate Drops; NAC (N-acetylcysteine) Data
- Update 115: Convalescent Plasma
- Update 116: Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine Explained
- Update 117: Moderna COVID 19 Vaccine Explained
- Update 118: AstraZeneca COVID-19 DNA Vaccine vs Pfizer and Moderna (mRNA Vaccines)
- Vitamin D and COVID 19: The Evidence for Prevention and Treatment of Coronavirus (SARS CoV 2)
- Update 119: Pfizer BioNTech Vaccine: Who, What, When (Clinical Considerations)
- COVID 19 Vaccine Deep Dive: Safety, Immunity, RNA Production, with Shane Crotty, PhD
- If You Get COVID 19: Strategies to Optimize Immune Function and Monitor Symptoms
- COVID 19 Q/A with Roger Seheult, MD and John Campbell, PhD: Lessons Learned and a Look Ahead
- Coronavirus Mutations and Vaccine Implications with Shane Crotty, PhD (SARS CoV 2 Variants)
- Fix Your Indoor Air: Better Health & Mental Performance / Avoid COVID-19 with Prof. Joseph Allen
- Update 120: Anticoagulants Improve Hospital Outcomes
- Update 121: Johnson and Johnson Vaccine - Efficacy and Safety vs. Pfizer & Moderna
- COVID 19 and Pregnancy: Vaccines, Fertility, & Breastfeeding with Dr. Viki Male
- Update 122: The Research So Far on COVID-19 and Vaccines vs. Pregnancy
- Mental Health and Wellness During a Pandemic - Dr. Yellowlees
- Update 123: COVID 19 Vaccine Efficacy Against Variants
- COVID Travel Tips: Flying During Pandemic, Safety, Current Restrictions
- Update 124: California and New York Variants
- Update 125: The Link Between Anxiety/Depression and the Immune System
- Children and COVID-19 with Daniel Griffin, MD, PhD: Long COVID, Vaccines, School Safety
- Coronavirus Variants vs. Vaccines, Reinfections, Masks: COVID 19 Immunity Deep Dive with Shane Crotty
- What is Antibody Dependent Enhancement? Does it Occur With COVID 19 Vaccines? with Victoria Male, PhD
- Update 126: Variants, Vaccine Uptake, Sinovac, Brazil, India, Israel
- Update 127: Johnson and Johnson Vaccine Pause: A Rare Blood Clot Called CVST
- New Research on Meat, Dairy, and Inflammation + Disease
- Update 128: India, Japan, The Olympics, Mucormycosis
- Update 129: Long COVID Treatment, Symptoms, and Recovery (Long Haulers) Update
- Update 130: Delta Variant and Vaccines
- Update 131: Delta Variant Versus Previous COVID 19 Infection vs. Vaccines
- Delta Variant: Top 10 COVID Questions and How to Prepare
- Delta Variant: Our Biggest Challenge Yet with Eric Topol, MD
- Update 132: Innate Immunity, Interferon, and COVID 19
- 10 COVID 19 Vaccine Questions, Rumors, and Myths with Drs. Rhonda Patrick and Roger Seheult (Part 1)
- 10 COVID 19 Vaccine Questions, Rumors, and Myths with Drs. Rhonda Patrick and Roger Seheult (Part 2)
- Update 133: Vaccine Efficacy Versus Delta Variant: Real World Data
- Update 134: Molnupiravir Explained Clearly
- Update 135: Mixing Vaccine Boosters For COVID 19
- Update 136: Multiple Myeloma: How Co-Morbidities Can Compromise COVID 19 Vaccine Efficacy
- Update 137: Which COVID Booster is Best? Pfizer vs. Moderna vs. J. Johnson
- Update 138: Fluvoxamine: a $4 Antidepressant That Reduces COVID 19 Hospitalizations
- Update 139: Coronavirus Vaccines vs. NON COVID-19 related deaths: New Data
- Update 140: AstraZeneca Second Doses vs Moderna and Pfizer COVID Vaccines
- Update 141: COVID Vaccines VS Delta Variant -Texas Government Study (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson)
- Update 142: Omicron Variant
- Update 143: Omicron - Tracking South African COVID 19 Spread
- Update 144: Pfizer COVID 19 Authorized Pill "Paxlovid" Explained
- Update 145: Monoclonal Antibodies: Omicron Update
- How to Navigate COVID 19 Hospitalization Explained
- Sunlight: Optimize Health and Immunity (Light Therapy and Melatonin)
- Update 146: Vitamin D and Long COVID: A Case Report
- Update 147: The Case for Sunlight in COVID 19 Patients: Oxidative Stress
- Update 148: Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID 19 Update
- Vitamin D Reduces Autoimmune Diseases: New Research
- Can Vaccines Help with Long COVID?
- How to Distinguish Myocardial Infarction from Pericarditis on ECG
- Chronic Blood Clots Can Be Missed!
- COVID-19 and Telogen Effluvium (Hair Loss)
- Ivermectin Together Trial Results from NEJM
- The Vitamin D Paradox in COVID-19 and Why It Predicts But Doesn't Always Protect
- The Truth Behind Masks on Planes
- Update 161: COVID-19 Repeated Infections: The Why and What You Can Do
- Study: Moderna, Pfizer, Janssen, Novovax vs. Natural Infection After 6 Months
Videos with Dr. Michael Mina from the Harvard School of Public Health
- COVID 19 Vaccine Update: Safety, Efficacy, Distribution, Trials (Sept. 5, 2020)
- COVID 19 Rapid Tests: What About False Positives?
- Are Antigen Paper Tests for COVID 19 Accurate Enough?
- Should We Wait Until COVID-19 Rapid Tests Rival the Sensitivity of PCR Tests?
- What if Some People Don't Cooperate With COVID-19 Rapid Testing?
- COVID 19 Antigen Testing At Home: Would It Be Too Expensive?
- Can Individuals Be Trusted To Self-Test for COVID-19
- At Home Coronavirus Testing and COVID 19 Vaccine Update (Nov. 25, 2020)
I am still following. I look forward to further lectures. Maybe more data about vaccine effectiveness will be published, especially since there are popular press reports that vaccination in India may not prevent a local variant. Thank you for explaining the long term effects of those infected. I wonder about long term effects on those vaccinated patients who subsequently get infected. Is there a way to tell? Thank you so much Dr Seheult and Kyle Allred. Thank you Dr. Seheult and Kyle Allred. I wonder if there should be more discussion about how the vaccinated population might still be spreading the delta variant. Thank you Dr. Seheult and Kyle Allred. Now we are seeing papers like "Antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy resolves long covid in 24 patients". Dr. Seheult is may be worth covering in one lecture the mechanism of COVID thrombosis you talked about in lectures ~ 61-67. Thank you for the lecture and advice about light exposure. I will try to incorporate that in my habits. Dr Seheult, I am having trouble understanding the near IR effect for reducing ROS. 1) The direct sunlight exposure to near IR is high. The scattered nIR is orders of magnitude less. 2) Photography adjusts for brightness over a wide latitude. I think nIR exposures are not convincing. 3) The absorption of light is exponential with distance. What is the intensity at 8 cm depth? 4) What is the cross section of mitochondria in the cell? In other words the chance of a photon having a beneficial interaction? I think we need a lot more papers to help understand how near IR could work. Thank you for the lectures. Thank you Dr. Seheult for the interpretation of how the vaccines might affect long Covid symptoms. If thrombosis had occurred I wonder how could it affect that? Thank you, Dr Seheult. When the Covid stress synchronizes the telegen efluvium does that suggest the cycle is likely to repeat in 2-6 years? Though I was not wondering, thank you for explaining about the ineffectiveness of Ivermectin. Does much near IR get to the endothelial cells most likely to see oxidative stress? Thank you, Dr Seheult. I wonder how vaccination status affects the chances of Covid transmission. I should look for data about cabin air recirculation. I think the Airbus recirculates a higher fraction than the B737. As you know those HEPA filters have a certain efficiency <1. Thank you for the update, Dr Seheult. Thank you, Dr Seheult. I hope the authors are continuing the study to see the results after a longer interval.
very clear. ARDS section was particularly good.
ZENAS PALOMA, RN
JORDAN THOMPSON (Medical Student)
CHRIS REYNOLDS, Paramedic
ABDUL HAMID MAVLI, MD
Excellent work medcram team. I'll keep watching the updates
GILLIAN ANDERSON (Nursing Student)
Excellent information explained clearly.
- Quadruple Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine.
- Over 20 years teaching experience as both an exam preparation instructor and an assistant professor of medicine.
- Experience as a medical director for both a Southern California Physician Assistant Program and a Respiratory Therapy Program.
Click here for full bio